These Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers recipe makes for a delicious Mediterranean side dish or appetizer! There’s no peeling, no de-seeding, no hot oil splattering from the pan!! Just drizzle olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake or air fry according to your taste!!!
Mini Sweet Peppers
Mini sweet peppers are great for snacking, on salads or cooked. I usually add them in rings to salads or use them insted of chips for dips. Gives me a healthier option:)).
Add them to your meal planning grocery list because they always come in handy. I even saute them with meat or chicken for a quick stir fried meal.
Bake or Air Fry?
Short answer is either or:). While growing up, everyone fried peppers in oil. Summer time, especially August evenings you could tell who was frying peppers around the neighborhood. They make for one of the best summer dishes in my opinion! But it’s not easy for the person doing the cooking flipping peppers in hot splattering oil.
Roasted peppers taste amazing, fried peppers do too. I love either baking or air frying the sweet mini peppers because I don’t have to peel them. You can make this recipe with long peppers, but those varieties have to be peeled.
I feel it’s also important to evaluate baking or air frying based on the appliance you have. With smaller air fryers, you might have to do several batches so maybe then it’s not so convenient. The air fryer I have it’s a combo air fryer / toaster oven that I love!!
Whichever process you choose, roast or fry the peppers until they are lightly charred, about 20 minutes in my appliance.
How to Serve these Mini Sweet Peppers?
This amazingly delicious side dish can be served in so many different ways. I prefer to toast sourdough bread, spread ricotta or goat cheese on the bread then add the roasted peppers on top. Drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and enjoy it like that:)).
If you are having a get together, you can serve a tray of these roasted mini sweet peppers on the table together with other mezes. People can serve a little of everything on their plate. That’s the typical Mediterranean way. Enjoy with a cold beer and fun company:).
Tips & Notes
I don’t think you can go wrong which ever way you decide to cook these peppers. My grocery store sells them in a pre packed bag of either 8 ozs or 28 ozs. I buy the bigger bag for roasting / frying.
- Bake or fry with just olive oil, salt and pepper. Later on add balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze as needed. It makes storing them in the refrigerator easier if they’re not coated in vinegar.
- Serve over toast with ricotta, goat cheese, feta cheese or any cheese you like.
- If you have more time on your hands, you can also stuff the peppers before roasting with ricotta cheese and roast them that way. I however, just love roasting them whole and serving over toast with ricotta as shown on the picture above.
- You can add garlic and other seasonings as well to taste.
Recipe as shown below is Mediterranean Diet, gluten free and vegan. When serving over cheese it’s still Med Diet friendly, but not vegan anymore so adjust accordingly to your lifestyle:).
Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers
- 28 ozs mini sweet peppers
- 2 tbsps olive oil extra virgin
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp fresh ground black pepper adjust to taste
- Wash and drain the peppers in a colander. Pat them dry if you're in a hurry.
- Place peppers on a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil and spread salt and pepper evenly.
- Bake or air fry for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (about 200 Celsius) or until peppers are charred. Let cool for few minutes.
- Serve as desired – appetizer, small bites, over bread and/or cheeses of choices. Enjoy:)
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze over your serving of peppers. My preference is to place the peppers over toast with ricotta or feta.
- If you like to grill your mini sweet peppers, take a look at my Grilled Mini Peppers recipe because besides grilling them, the recipe has a parsley and za’atar topping that is great over these peppers no matter how you cook them.
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, please save the below image for your boards in Pinterest. Let me know in comments if you have any questions!! Feel free to tag me in social media with your version of this recipe:).
Other Mediterranean Recipes
I have plenty of Mediterranean recipes in this blog, feel free to browse around for your favorites. I have a feeling you might like these other pepper recipes:
- Red Peppers and Feta Cheese Dip
- Red Peppers in Pressure Cooker (Gogozhare)
- Stuffed Peppers
- Balkan Red Pepper Dip (Ajvar)