This last year has increased our consumption of smoothies. Smoothies are so convenient to make and so versatile, plus delicious and refreshing! We love this Pineapple, Dragon Fruit Smoothie with Oat Milk! Hope you’ll enjoy it too:).
Living in South Florida we are so used to having tropical fruits like pineapples, mangoes etc in plenty of supply. We even plant our own pineapples sometimes.
This past year, as a family we have all worked from home and studied from home. I love to cook but cooking 7 days a week, more than 3 meals a day gets a little tiring, right? I’m sure all you moms agree!! Plus my kids have been asking for an unbelievable amount of snacks in between meals.
Smoothies have been lifesavers for me. They can be snack or they can be breakfast. Also, my kids love the different colors and flavors, so with no effort at all you get them to have plenty of fruits and vegetables:). Here are some more smoothies you can check out from my blog:
Tips & Notes
Fresh vs Frozen Fruits – For this smoothie I used fresh pineapple, fresh banana, frozen dragon fruit and oat milk. You can choose a combination of fresh and frozen fruits to whatever is available in your area. If all fruits are frozen, you might need to add a pinch of honey to your smoothie as frozen fruits are not as sweet as fresh.
Milk – I am a bit obsessed lately with oat milk! I used unsweetened oat milk. However, you can use almond milk or 2% milk as a replacement and taste will still be great. I haven’t tried other milks with this smoothie yet.
Protein – If using as a breakfast replacement, I add a scoop of protein to my smoothie. But not on the kids’ smoothies. That’s why I love to use an individual size blender to customize each cup of smoothie I make.
Other Fruits – if missing any of the above fruits, other fruits that really go well in this smoothie are mangoes, berries and kiwi.
Blender – you need a good quality blender that crushes ice very fine. I have 2 of them, both nearing the 10 year mark. So don’t know how they fare to more modern blenders, but they work for our family’s needs. One is an individual size blender (similar to this model) and this other is a full size blender that we use not only for smoothie but for blending soups ets.
Pineapple Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- ¾ cup frozen dragon fruit if fresh it's about 1 fruit
- ⅔ cup pineapple
- ½ tsp hemp hearts seeds
- 1 cup oat milk (unsweetened) or milk of your choice
- 1 banana
- 2-3 ice cubes if most of the fruits are frozen, no need to add ice cubes
- 1 scoop protein powder only for grown ups, don't add it to kids smoothies unless asked to do so by a doctor
- Gather all ingredients needed for the smoothie, frozen or fresh fruit, milk of your choice (I love using oat milk), hemp heart seeds, ice and blender.
- Add ice, dragon fruit, pineapple and milk on the blender cup. Blend for a minute or so. Shake to allow for everything to mix.
- Add sliced banana and protein powder (optional). Blend again until everything is mixed and smooth.
- Pour in a cup of choice, top with hemp heart seeds. Enjoy it cold:)
- I find this smoothie to be very sweet even when using unsweetened milk.
- Also, there’s a lot of fruits in this smoothie so it can be filling, especially when adding the protein powder too.
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please save the below image to your boards in Pinterest. Let me know in comments if you have any questions or feel free to tag me with a picture of your smoothie creation in social media:).