If this is your first time landing in my blog, I wanted to let you know that I live in Miami, Florida. Great right? It is really a paradise from November to April. I can’t really complain since I’m not a fan of freezing temperatures. But summer time can be HOT!! I mean really, really, really HOT. Combine Heat & Steam, that type of hot. I usually compare going outdoors to taking a Turkish Bath fully clothed:). And I really can’t avoid it. My kids are 6 and 2 years old. Both are very active with activities and playdates. I’m just right now trying to write this post fast so I can go pick up my son from school and take both kids to swimming class. I just can’t image anything more refreshing to battle the summer heat than this tropical Mango Dragon Fruit Smoothie!!!
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
Perfect Family Smoothie
I love smoothies in general, but I can’t say enough good things about this Mango, Dragon Fruit Strawberry smoothie. It has a tropical taste and it is delicious. Not to mention that it is freezing cold and makes the heat bearable:)). My kids call it ice-cream smoothie:)). I get them to hydrate and get their fruit intake all at once. I mean, what’s better than mango, dragon fruit and strawberry together?
Dragon fruit is expensive but I offset that with mangoes from my own garden. Also, when my grocery store has sales on frozen fruit, they have buy one get one free on the dragon fruit so I load up several packs then. In case your grocery store doesn’t carry dragon fruit by its name, look for Pitaya which is how people call dragon fruit sometimes. This fruit can have yellow or pink exterior!!
Mango Dragon Fruit Smoothie Recipe
This recipe is very simple and so versatile. You can have so many variations of this smoothie. Usually I try to use fresh strawberries & mangoes and frozen dragon fruit. However, depending on the time of the year I tend to use a combination of frozen and fresh depending on availability. If all the fruits are fresh, add 2-3 ice cubes and lessen the amount of milk.
- 1 cup frozen fruit mix: dragon fruit, mango
- 2-3 fresh strawberries
- 1.5 cups cold unsweetened almond milk
- Mint (optional)
- Blend everything until you achieve desired consistency. For me it’s about 2 minutes. Decorate with mint for aroma and enjoy! See all recipe card below with featured video at the bottom.
Variations of Mango Dragon Fruit Summer Smoothie
- I prefer using frozen fruit because then I don’t have to include ice. You can cut fresh fruit and freeze it yourself. You can buy each fruit separately frozen or you can buy a blend of frozen fruits. I have tried all of these options. As long as you use about a cup or a little bit more packed frozen fruit for your smoothie, it will taste great!!
- If you are using fresh fruit, then add about 2-3 ice cubes to the mix. Adjust the almond milk quantity accordingly.
- If you like your smoothies sweet, consider adding a sweetener of choice. For me this is perfect so I don’t add anything extra.
- A fruit mix that I enjoy using sometimes has an extra fruit to the above: mango, dragon fruit, strawberry and peach!! It’s amazing too!! I found that mix at a club store.
- If you don’t like almond milk, you can use regular milk, soy milk, coconut milk etc. Try it with different milks and see which one is your favorite.
- I haven’t added protein to this smoothie, but my husband has. He likes protein smoothies and he says it tastes great but I haven’t personally tried it with protein.
Mango Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- 0.5 cup frozen dragon fruit
- 0.5 cup fresh or frozen mango
- 3 strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups almond milk replace with milk of your choice
- 3 mint leaves, optional for garnish
- Clean the fresh fruits, wash and slice them.
- Add fruits to the blender. Add ice only if all fruits are fresh. Then add milk.
- Blend until you achieve desired consistency. Different blenders take different preparation time so check halfway through and then blend a little bit longer.
- Pour into your favorite cup, garnish with mint leaves. Go outdoors and enjoy it:)
- If you prepare this smoothie exactly as described (unsweetened almond milk) it is estimated that a serving has 140 calories, 17 grams of carbs. However, if you prepare the smoothie with sweetened or regular almond milk it is estimated that this smoothie will have 187 calories and 28 grams of carbs.
If you would like to save this post for later, please pin the below image in Pinterest. Thank you:). Feel free to tag me in social media if you made this recipe. Hope you enjoy it!!
Instagram: mediterranean_latin_love or Twitter: MediterrLatin or Facebook: Mediterranean Latin Love Affair.
Other Summer Recipes:
If you would like to check out some of my other summer recipes, please see below links:
- Tarator – Cold Yogurt Soup with Cucumber (Albanian)
- Watermelon, Feta Snack
- Stuffed Zucchini Squash
- Dragon Fruit, Pear Salad
Note: Post was initially written on May 2019 and updated with additional pictures, video and a recipe card on April 1st, 2020!
Mango is one of my favorite fruit and I love to have it in my smoothie. The dragon fruit has given bright color to this.
Summer time is best for smoothies! I have started making smoothies and love the pink color of the smoothie
What a lovely fresh summer smoothie! I love that you have fresh strawberries in it and use almond milk! I’m not sure I can find dragon fruit here in Italy. But, I’ll keep an eye out!
Love smoothies. Always looking for new ideas.
Anindya Sundar Basu
This drink looks so refreshing and will definitely try this out
The color of this dragonfruit smoothie is just stunning.
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Yum! I love dragonfruit! Did you use the red kind?
WOW! Just wow! I love mangoes, dragon fruit, and strawberries. I bet the taste is as good as it looks. So beautiful. I can almost taste it.
Christy Boston's Kitchen
I give you credit for living where it is so very hot and humid. I don’t think I could do it! Winter here can last for six months (not my favorite scenario) but the summers are nice and temperate at least. This smoothie will be so refreshing because it will remind me of summer (yeah, we had a hard frost again last night) and I can pretend, lol! The flavors sound so yummy together. I love the combination of dragon fruit and mango.
Thank you Christy!! It’s so nice here especially during winter because it’s almost like Spring. But summers are almost unbearable!! And now with kids activities I have no choice but to be outdoors for hours, so lots of refreshing smoothies and juices to keep hydrated.
I am curious with dragon fruit smoothie but I heard it taste reallly good. I love when you add mangoes and strawberry. It’s very refreshing and it’s perfect for hot weather. Definitely going to make one.
What a simple yet great combination of flavors! I enjoyed the comments, too, to give me ideas about what to look for when I shop for dragon fruit.
I love dragonfruit…never had it in a smoothie. Really excited to try this recipe 🙂
Thank you Rochelle:)). Hope you enjoy it!
How do you make it so bright we just made this and it’s delicious but the color is kind of a brownish pink is it photo shopped?
Hi Joanne, no it’s not photoshopped. I have a filtered picture for Pinterest and that looks like a very bright purple.
Did you use fresh or frozen fruit? Also which type of dragon fruit did you use, the one with pink skin or yellow skin? I’ll add a video soon as soon as I can get some dragon fruit.
Thank you for trying my recipe & saying that it is delicious!!
It seems hot and humid everywhere. This sounds yummy, especially on the beach 🙂
Thank you Scott:)). Yes, I use one of my kids’ lunch boxes/cooler to take some to the beach with fresh slices of watermelon. It’s perfect for a hot weather treat, just need to keep it cool so it doesn’t spoil.
I keep meaning to try out dragon fruit & this gives ma great excuse! Looks delish!
It’s a delicious fruit, comes in different colors which makes it appealing for food styling. But it’s expensive:(. However, there are certain non big chain stores that would sell it for cheap. Also, the frozen packs in grocery stores are good for the smoothie version but not the salad. Those go on sale quite often.