This fizzy Elderflower Cocktail with Grapefruit is an elegant drink for the holidays or any celebration. I garnish it with rosemary for Christmas & New Year’s celebrations, or with fresh fruit for girls night or brunch. And if you can ever find actual elderflowers, they look great as garnish too!
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
What is Elderflower?
Elderflower is the flower of a Sambucus Negra plant, it’s a berry plant that produces the famous elderberries. In Europe, Elderflower is in season during late spring/early summer. We mostly use elderflowers for garnish, decorations but also for famous elderflowers cordials or syrups.
The most famous elderflower creation is St. Germain liqueur. The famous St. Germain cocktail mixes a little of this elderflower liqueur with champagne to create an elegant drink.
The recipe I bring to you today uses elderflower cordial instead of St. Germain. the cordial doesn’t have alcohol in it.
Cocktail Variations for Different Occasions
The recipe as described in the recipe card below is usually a strong cocktail so I highly recommend using it for evening celebrations. Don’t overdo it because it’s sweet but it packs 2 different types of alcohol. Drink responsibly:).
Brunch – When I prepare the drink for brunch, I cut out the vodka completely, add more freshly squeezed juice and just use prosecco with elderflower syrup. Garnish it with flowers or fresh fruit.
Mocktail – If you bought the elderflower syrup (instead of the liquor), you can also prepare a mocktail so everyone can join in the celebrations. Usually for the mocktail I add ice to the cup, 1 oz of the syrup, then top it off with sparkling water. Add grapefruit juice on top:) and garnish with berries with grapefruit slice.
Elderflower Cocktail with Grapefruit
- 4 ozs vodka keep in freezer, choose a good quality brand
- 2 ozs elderflower cordial
- 1 grapefruit squeeze the grapefruit
- 10 ozs prosecco
- ice usually 2-3 cubes per person
- 2 rosemary twigs (optional) for garnish
- Keep vodka in freezer, while grapefruit and prosecco in the refrigerator for at least few hours before you'll make the cocktail.
- Add ice in the shaker, vodka, elderflower cordial and squeezed grapefruit juice. Shake few times to mix the flavors and chill the mix even further.
- Pour through the shaker's strainer evenly in 2 coupe cocktail glasses. (don't add the ice to the cups).
- Top off with prosecco until close to the rim. Garnish with rosemary for the holidays (or pine) or with fresh fruit or flowers for brunch.
- Serve right away. Enjoy responsibly:)
- Mocktail – to make a mocktail add elderflower cordial over ice (usually about 1 oz), then top off with fresh grapefruit juice and sparkling water.
- Brunch – to make this cocktail for brunch, I would cut out the vodka and make it lighter. Add more grapefruit juice instead!
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please save the below picture in your Pinterest boards. Let me know if you have any questions in comment or feel free to tag me in social media with pictures of your version of the drink:).
More Cocktail Recipes
Check out these other cocktails from my blog:
- Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail
- Christmas Coconut Cocktail
- Acai Strawberry Moscow Mule
- Meyer Lemon Margarita
- Mango Passion Fruit Rum Cocktail