As I grow older, I’ve noticed I’ve gotten picky with my drinks. I can’t drink more than 1 so usually I want to make sure that one cocktail is a really good one. Lately, my husband and I are trying to avoid sugar and processed foods. So a low carb, fizzy cocktail with no added sugar seems like a perfect compromise, that’s how I put together this Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail.
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. For more details, please see my Disclosure Policy.
You can make similar vodka cocktails by mixing vodka with tonic water, orange juice, sprite, ginger ale etc. The mixes vary in degree of sweetness based on what you decide to mix this alcohol with.
Since we are trying to avoid sugar, I decided to use slices of blood orange, fresh blood orange juice (less sugar than store bought juice) and sparkling water to add some fizz.
Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail Recipe Tips and Notes
First, let me start this segment by saying that I hope you are 21 years old. I’m writing this recipe for people who are legally allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage.
I recommend a standard 2 oz shot of vodka per one serving of this cocktail because that’s the standard mixing quantity. However, I’ll tell you that for myself I include a bit less vodka as I don’t want my drink to be too strong. Adjust the recipe as needed for yourself.
This recipe is for one drink as usually I prepare this one drink at a time instead of in batches, even when I have guests over. I usually use 1 big blood orange for 1 drink. I slice half of the orange and juice the other half.
- You can replace blood oranges with regular oranges, sumo oranges, grapefruit or cara cara oranges.
- I use sparkling water but you can use sprite or ginger ale if sugar is not a problem for you.
- Vodka quality will make a big difference in how this cocktail will taste. You need good quality vodka. I don’t want to get into brand recommendations, but believe me a good vodka will make all the difference.
- If you are feeling adventurous, you can make this cocktail with other vodka like drinks i.e. grappa, pisco, singani, rakia, etc.
- You can add additional mixers and syrups that will give this cocktail a more professional look, but for what I need (a low carb, without too many processed ingredients) this is just perfect.
- If you want to make a mocktail, just skip the vodka but follow the rest of the steps exactly the same in the recipe. Sparkling water tastes great with freshly squeezed orange juice:)
Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail
- 1 blood orange
- 2 ozs vodka
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup sparklin water
- 1 rosemary twig
- Slice the blood orange in half. Slice one half in round slices and squeeze the other half.
- Pick a wide cocktail vase. Add 1 slice of blood orange to the bottom. Add the crushed ice on top, then another slice of blood orange.
- Pour vodka on top. Then add the spakling water and the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Decorate with a slice of blood orange and the rosemary twig, serve right away. Cheers:)
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please pin the below image to Pinterest. Feel free to contact me in social media with any questions or tag me if you made my recipe:). Thank you!!
Other Cocktails From My Blog:
- Pomegranate Raki Cocktail (Albania)
- Chuflay with Singani (Bolivia)
- Coquito (Puerto Rico)
- Acai Moscow Mule