As I grow older, I’ve noticed I’ve gotten picky with my drinks. I can’t drink more than 1 so usually I want to make sure that one cocktail is a really good one. Lately, my husband and I are trying to avoid sugar and processed foods. So a low carb, fizzy cocktail with no added sugar seems like a perfect compromise, that’s how I put together this Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail.
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. For more details, please see my Disclosure Policy.
You can make similar vodka cocktails by mixing vodka with tonic water, orange juice, sprite, ginger ale etc. The mixes vary in degree of sweetness based on what you decide to mix this alcohol with.
Since we are trying to avoid sugar, I decided to use slices of blood orange, fresh blood orange juice (less sugar than store bought juice) and sparkling water to add some fizz.
Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail Recipe Tips and Notes
First, let me start this segment by saying that I hope you are 21 years old. I’m writing this recipe for people who are legally allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage.
I recommend a standard 2 oz shot of vodka per one serving of this cocktail because that’s the standard mixing quantity. However, I’ll tell you that for myself I include a bit less vodka as I don’t want my drink to be too strong. Adjust the recipe as needed for yourself.
This recipe is for one drink as usually I prepare this one drink at a time instead of in batches, even when I have guests over. I usually use 1 big blood orange for 1 drink. I slice half of the orange and juice the other half.
- You can replace blood oranges with regular oranges, sumo oranges, grapefruit or cara cara oranges.
- I use sparkling water but you can use sprite or ginger ale if sugar is not a problem for you.
- Vodka quality will make a big difference in how this cocktail will taste. You need good quality vodka. I don’t want to get into brand recommendations, but believe me a good vodka will make all the difference.
- If you are feeling adventurous, you can make this cocktail with other vodka like drinks i.e. grappa, pisco, singani, rakia, etc.
- You can add additional mixers and syrups that will give this cocktail a more professional look, but for what I need (a low carb, without too many processed ingredients) this is just perfect.
- If you want to make a mocktail, just skip the vodka but follow the rest of the steps exactly the same in the recipe. Sparkling water tastes great with freshly squeezed orange juice:)
Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail
- 1 blood orange
- 2 ozs vodka
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 rosemary twig
- Wash and pat dry the blood orange.
- Cut the blood orange in half. Slice one half in round slices and squeeze the other half to get fresh orange juice.
- Pick a wide cocktail vase. Add 1-2 slices of blood orange to the bottom. Add the crushed ice on top.
- Pour vodka on top. Then add the spakling water and the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange and the rosemary twig, serve right away. Cheers:)
- You don’t have to follow the same order in which I have added the ingredients. Feel free to shake your cocktail too. I love biting the orange slices once I’m almost done with the drink, that’s why I like adding them in the order described in recipe instructions.
- Video was done few years after I wrote the recipe and the at the time, blood oranges were not so abundant in the market. So that’s why at the end of the video you’ll find a bonus method of making this cocktail (freezing the blood orange juice instead of using crushed ice). Hope you enjoy the video and the recipe!!
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please pin the below image to Pinterest. Feel free to contact me in social media with any questions or tag me if you made my recipe:). Thank you!!
Instagram: mediterranean_latin_love or Twitter: MediterrLatin or Facebook: Mediterranean Latin Love Affair.
Other Cocktails From My Blog:
- Pomegranate Raki Cocktail (Albania)
- Chuflay with Singani (Bolivia)
- Coquito (Puerto Rico)
- Acai Moscow Mule
Scarlet | Family Focus Blog
This vodka cocktail not only sounds delish, it is also so pretty! And somehow it seems perfect for year round consumption- refreshing in the heat, and good for you in the winter with all the vitamin c.
Me encanta que nos propongas un coctail sugar free y además con naranja! una de mis frutas favoritas. Aunque no bebo mucho alcohol, de vez en cuando un coctail como este blood oraren vodka coctail apetece 🙂
Anabella Mirowski (Aeroconcierge)
Maravilloso coctel y lo mejor es que es sugar free! El azúcar en la mayoría de los cócteles es lo que hace que me produzcan dolor de cabeza. Éste además de refrescante, luce hermosamente provocativo con ese color intenso!
Muchas gracias Anabella!!!
Mmmm! Can’t wait to try this cocktail! Love the vodka based ones and I’m a big fan of blood oranges!
Thank you Estefania, me too!! I ❤️ blood oranges, you still get the citrus flavor just a little sweeter:)).
I just brought a bottle of bloody orange juice. ❤️ I can’t wait to try this with vodka and lime or ginger ale.🙂
Hi Lisa, hope you like it:)). I bet it’s amazing with ginger ale!! I’m waiting for fresh blood oranges but if we don’t get any this year, I’d definitely use the blood orange juice to make the drink! Cheers!
Blood orange vodka cocktail are one of my favorite drinks. I’ve never been one to make her own cocktail but this one may actually have to do. It looks very simple and its sugar free cocktail. I love that.
Thank you Roxy:)). It’s so easy, hope you can make it at home. It’s just few ingredients and no added syrups & mixers.