This chocolate chip & pecans yellow cake is one of the easiest cakes to make. A slice of this cake goes perfectly with morning coffee or afternoon tea. Also, if you use different shapes for baking the cake instead of the regular cake mold, you can create a seasonal cake with no effort. A Christmas tree shape or a heart shape will make this look like a Christmas cake or Valentine’s Day cake.Jump to Recipe
Yesterday I was hosting a Polar Express playdate at home after school. Two of my son’s good friends were coming over. When my toddler was napping, I got everything ready for the cake, whipped it together, baked it, set it to cool then went with my toddler to pick up my son from school. They were both so excited to hang out with other kids on a Friday afternoon, drink hot cocoa, eat cake and watch The Polar Express. Since we live in Florida, I had to set the AC on low because these kids were all dresses in fleece pjs in Florida weather and drinking hot cocoa hahaha:)).
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
How Do You Make Seasonal Cakes?
Certain seasonal cakes have special flavorings or use specific ingredients that you can associate with certain celebrations. However, there are other times where you can use the same recipe over and over, but bake the cake in specific shapes to create seasonal cakes. See below some of my favorite cake molds:
Recipe for this cake is very simple. Feel free to replace chocolate chips and pecans with blueberries or other fruits of choice. This is my go to recipe for a cake. Sometimes I don’t even look at the quantities anymore, I just improvise because really, what could go wrong? Mix flour, eggs, sugar and milk:). Add some goodies like chocolate chips and pecans, voila!!
Chocolate Chips & Pecans Yellow Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 0.5 cups sugar if not using chocolate chips you might want to increase amount of sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 ozs)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup chocolate chips
- 0.5 cup chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Put it aside.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and softened butter until creamy. You can use a whisk or a hand held mixer.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla and milk to the eggs & sugar, keep mixing so it's all a homogeneous mix.
- Add the flour mix and keep whisking until you don’t see any flour.
- Add chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Mix batter until everything is homogeneous.
- Spray the baking molds with cooking spray or use a bit of melted butter to coat. Dust with a little bit of flour.
- Pour cake batter until ¾ of the mold.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, bake for about 30 minutes. Check around 25 minutes since the baking time might vary by oven.
- Remove from mold after cake has cooled down, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired for decoration.
- This cake was baked on Holiday cake molds but the recipe is perfect for a bundt cake too. So if you don’t have specific molds use just a simple cake mold!
If you are looking for a simple cookie recipe, check out my Orange & Vanilla Cookies recipes.