As soon as November starts every year, I make cornbread muffins to serve with some soup or just eat with some cheese on their own. These Cheese Cornbread Muffins are soooo good when served warm. We usually finish one batch so fast, there’s not even crumbs left:). I love making them for Thanksgiving too!!
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
We love cornbread as a family. Check out one of my other recipes: Rosemary Cornbread. These cheese cornbread muffins are soft and cheewy. Cheese makes such a big difference, it adds a little bit of gooey texture. And the smell of fresh baked cornbread muffins is so appetizing!!
I love serving these muffins with soup on a cold rainy day. Or just serve them warm with some butter and cheese along coffee/tea for afternoon tea. My kids would just pick them up as a snack on the go!!!
Tips, Notes & FAQ
The ingredients list is very simple for these cornbread muffins. They’re similar to traditional cornbread muffins, but they have lots of added cheese which makes such a difference!!
I love using Jarlsberg cheese for these muffins. We usually buy few blocks at Costco during our monthly shopping trip there. Feel free to use the cheese of your choice when making these muffins.
I prefer using olive oil to make these muffins, but you can use butter too.
These muffins require 1 cup of flour. I used to make them with regular AP flour. But once I tried them with bread flour, I realized that it worked so much better for this recipe.
Once you mix all the ingredients as described in the recipe card below, pour into muffin baking tray. I mix the grated cheese into the muffin mix, but I insert a piece of cheese in the middle once mix is poured into tray.
Bake at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 200 degrees Celsius) for 12-15 minutes until tops have gotten golden brown. Usually I insert a toothpick in one of them to make sure they are thoroughly baked inside.
Cheese Cornbread Muffins
- Muffin Baking Tray
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup flour either AP or bread flour
- 1.5 cups self rising corn meal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 10 ozs Jarlsberg cheese, divided
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the muffin pan.
- Divide cheese in two equal halves. Grate one half and cut the other half in 12 square pieces.
- Lightly whisk the eggs until homogenous and creamy. Slowly add buttermilk and continue whisking. Then add flour and cornmeal. At this point switch from the whisk to a spoon. Add oil and salt, mix until you see no more flour but don't over mix the batter. Finally add grated cheese and give it one more mix.
- Pour batter into muffin tray, keep it a little lower than the rim. Then add 1 piece of cheese in the middle of each.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on top. Use a toothpick to check that muffins are thoroughly baked. Once baked, let cool on the tray for about 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm and enjoy:)
- If using both bread flour and self rising corn meal, then you don’t need baking soda or baking powder for this recipe. One less ingredient:).
- Salt – bread flour already has some salt in it and cheese does too. I usually just add half a tsp of additional salt because of the salt already in flour and cheese. If using a different flour or different cheese (or different qty of cheese) then you have to adjust for the salt.
- Baking time might vary a bit by altitude, oven type and calibration etc. I usually start checking at the 12 minutes mark. If you insert a toothpick on the muffin, it should come up dry.
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please save the below image to Pinterest. Feel free to contact me with questions below in comments or tag me in social media if you made this recipe:). Thank you!
Other Bread Recipes:
If you like breads in general, check out some of my other recipes:
- Rosemary Cornbread
- Albanian Homemade Bread
- 5 Ingredients Bread
- Gluten Free Cheese Breads
- Keto Flaxseed Bread