We love stuffed peppers in my house. We mostly cook them the Mediterranean way, however occasionally I like to try variations. One of my husband’s relatives is from Brazil and she makes delicious mashed potatoes stuffed peppers. I was so craving them this week but my husband and I are trying to lower the amount of carbohydrates we eat so I had an idea to replace potatoes with cauliflower. That’s how these Cauliflower Puree Stuffed Peppers were created. I added celery and carrots to pureed cauliflower to increase the amount of vegetables as well as make the flavor more complex.
My go to recipe for stuffed peppers is this: Albanian Stuffed Peppers. That’s what we always cooked back home in Albania. A lot of Mediterranean countries have a variation of that recipe with minced or ground meat and different spices and cooking greens. However, occasionally I’m looking for a fresh, delicious and meatless dish. And this Cauliflower Puree Stuffed Peppers is the perfect alternative.
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
Nutritious Value of This Stuffed Peppers Recipe
This specific recipe of stuffed peppers is perfect for vegetarians or families who practice a meatless meal a week. It’s full of vegetables: bell peppers, cauliflower, celery, carrots, and green onions.
Cauliflower is high in fiber and contains lots of vitamins and minerals. It’s also a great substitute for grains, potatoes and beans which makes it a preferred ingredient in lots of diets.
Cauliflower also contains lots of antioxidants which help prevent heart diseases and chronic illnesses.
Bell pepers are rich in vitamins and carotenoids. They are considered a great food to help with eye health and help prevent several diseases. Bell peppers contain iron and lots of Vitamin C. Combination of both iron and this vitamin, makes bell peppers one of the preferred diet vegetables to fight anemia.
Cauliflower Puree Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Cauliflower Puree Stuffed Peppers
- 1 medium cauliflower head
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 green onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- ¾ cup half and half
- 4 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps freshly grated parmesan cheese or shredded parmesan
- salt/pepper to taste
- Saute chopped celery and carrot in butter.
- Chop the cauliflower and add it in. Keep sauteing until cauliflower starts to soften.
- Add half and half as well as well as salt and pepper.
- Pour everything in a blender (be careful with the heat). Puree well until everything is smooth. Add a bit of water if needed. You need the mixture to be puree consistency not too watery. Transfer back to the pot and add 1 more tbsp of butter. Check that puree is good on salt and pepper and adjust to your taste.
- Clean and prepare the peppers. I like cutting them in half for this recipe. Stuff them with the pureed cauliflower.
- Add olive oil to the baking dish as well as a half cup of water. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. You might add few tbsps of water if needed half way through the baking process if the dish is completely dry. Or you can cover with aluminum foil.
- Once you are ready to serve, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and green onions.
If you’d like to access this recipe later, please pin the image below to Pinterest. If you cooked this recipe, I’d like to hear what you thought, you can comment below or in Instagram. Thank you:)
Leave a Reply