These Triple Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts are a chocoholic’s dream dessert!! They are soft, not overly sweet and gooey with melting pieces of chocolate throughout. These brownies are the perfect treat for any occasion!
My kids started school again this week after having done remote school for over a year. I was a ball of nerves while they were happy to go see their friends and play:). On Monday I kept checking my phone incessantly if any of their schools was calling me. And nothing, silence all day long! So I decided to channel my anxiety into making a delicious treat for them to welcome them home after school!
Why Triple Chocolate?
Well, we all love chocolate and I felt that if I add 3 different sources of chocolate it would provide a complexity in flavor. The 3 different sources of chocolate I used are as follows:
- Unsweetened Cocoa
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate bars (crushed)
Feel free to adjust to taste or use any combination of the above that you like:).
Are These Brownies Healthy?
No, they’re a treat and should not be considered a healthy food. However, I did use 2 new ingredients to make them slightly healthier than traditional brownies.
- A usual brownie recipe uses a lot of butter. I replaced part of the butter (not all) with avocado oil. It’s odorless and doesn’t change the taste. Plus I personally feel it makes the brownies softer.
- Instead of using a lot of sugar, I replace half of the sugar with Brown Coconut Sugar. The brownies will really taste amazing, not overly sweet and have a great texture.
Tips & Notes For Best Results
Here are some of my tips for getting the best brownies:).
- Baking dish – I used a square baking dish for brownies, 9 inches by 9 inches. If you have a different size baking dish you might have to adjust the quantities accordingly. If you have a 9×13 than increase everything by 50% – for example I used 4 eggs, you’ll have to use 6 eggs and so on.
- Butter needs to be room temperature or melted.
- Don’t over mix the batter.
- I highly recommend using parchment paper, it helps getting brownies out of the baking dish very easily.
- You can use a whisk or hand held mixer.
- If you are just opening the cocoa container, there’s no need to sift the cocoa as it tends to be very fluffy. However, if you have had the container opened for a while cocoa tends to clump together because of humidity and it’s hard to whisk or break up those pieces. So it’s better to sift in this case.
- Baking time also matters. This recipe took me 24 minutes to bake. Check with a toothpick around 22 minutes and be mindful on every extra minute you let the brownies bake.
- Let the brownies cool a bit into a cooling rack before you cut.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Triple Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts
- Baking dish 9×9 inches
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsps avocado oil
- 5 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups unsweetened cocoa
- 6 ozs dark chocolate bars the ones I used are 3 ozs each, I use 2 bars
- ¾ cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- pinch salt
- Leave butter at room temperature about half an hour before your start making the brownies. Or soften the butter in microwave right before.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk the eggs until creamy. Add sugar and brown coconut sugar. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and avocado oil, whisk to mix together. Then add butter. Continue mixing.
- Add flour and cocoa on the bowl, at this point mix slowly as especially cocoa can splash and create dust everywhere. You don't need to sift unless cocoa has clumped together. Mix until everything is incorporated into a creamy, chocolate cream. At this point you can switch from a whisk to a spatula if you feel more comfortable mixing with a spatula. You'll be able to scrape flour from the bottom of the bowl much easier with a spatula.
- Add chopped walnuts and chocolate chips, mix very little just to incorporate. Don't overdo the mixing at this point.
- Cut the chocolate bars into pieces. While trying to cut with a knife, the bars will crumble in small pieces.
- Pour the batter into a baking dish (9 by 9 inches). Use parchment paper to help remove the baked brownies easier. If you don't have parchment paper, grease the dish lightly before pouring batter in it. Add the crumbles of the chocolate bars over the batter, spread evenly.
- Place baking dish into the middle rack of the pre-heated oven. I have to bake my brownies for about 24 minutes. However, please check with a toothpick around 22 minutes and be mindful for every minute you let them bake after that. Each oven is slightly different so the baking time might vary anywhere from 22 to 26 minutes in my experience based on the ovens I have had a chance to use.
- Once baked, get the dish out of the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Try to resist cutting into the brownies too soon.
- Cut brownies in 9 squares (3 by 3). This will make for very generous servings! Enjoy:)
- I cut the brownies in 9 square slices, they were big generous slices. I think you can cut them even smaller. My kids for example share one slice as they can’t finish one whole square on their own.
If you would like to save this recipe for later please save it in your boards in Pinterest. Let me know in comments below if you have any questions or tag me with your version of these brownies in social media:). Thank you for reading my blog!!
Instagram: mediterranean_latin_love or Twitter: MediterrLatin or Facebook: Mediterranean Latin Love Affair.
More Dessert Recipes
If you like desserts, I invite you to check out some of my other recipes.
Leave a Reply