Cilantro Liver Bites in Aji Amarillo Sauce: perfect appetizer to share with friends and family on fútbol watch party!
My husband and I are raising a multicultural tri-lingual family. It’s funny how we both love fútbol (soccer) even though we grew up continents apart from each other. Our kids do too, our son (6) plays fútbol in school daily and our daughter (2) always tries to steal the ball from him when we play at the park as a family:). We live in Miami, Florida which is the most diverse city I have ever been to. A lot of our friends enjoy watching soccer too and we take turns to host ‘fútbol’, ‘futboll’, ‘futebol’ parties:). As I have this love of food, I try to serve modernized versions of traditional recipes instead of the usual chips and salsa. My latest creation is this Cilantro Liver Bites appetizer served with homemade Aji Amarillo Sauce.Jump to Recipe
Creating Cilantro Liver Bites
I knew I wanted to create a liver appetizer recipe and searched for a couple of dishes from my husband’s country of birth, Bolivia as well as other Latin American countries. I saw plenty of ‘higado encebollados’ or ‘higado a la mostaza’ but mostly those were meal recipes that I felt might be difficult to serve on soccer game days. For those of you who don’t watch soccer, the game is not too long, there are 2 halves of 45 minutes each. I wanted to have a star liver recipe served with plenty of other finger foods.
That’s where working with Rumba Meats came in handy. I found their products at my local Walmart but I also noticed that they sell online as well. So if you are looking for their products, please check online to find a store near you and get a coupon. I did have several stores within a 5-mile radius carrying the products I wanted, however, if that is not the case for you, you can just shop for the cut on Amazon!
Why Beef Liver?
Beef Liver makes for delicious and unique recipes that can impress most guests. I’ve had people over who have tried it for the first time in my house and they couldn’t believe they had never tried liver before.
Liver is a nutritious packed superfood. This organ is packed with folates, B12, Iron, Copper and other nutrients. So besides being delicious, this superfood is an excellent source of protein, vitamins and nutrients.
Notes On The Recipe
- The recipe can be made spicy if you only have adults over, but if you have children in your party, then the below recipe is perfect for everyone. I made a spicy aji amarillo sauce that you can add individually on top of each liver bite as desired. The sauce adds a kick but also ties the appetizer together.
- You can serve the bites with you favorite bread, pita, tostada or even tacos. I have served this appetizer with both tostadas or as pictured above with bread.
- Serve with lemon slices to add a tangy flavor. It compliments the liver flavor perfectly.
- Use red onions for this recipe.
- Double up for a big party.
Cilantro Liver Bites
- 2.5 lbs sliced liver beef (about 2 packages of Rumba Meats beef liver)
- 1.5 big red onions 1 onion will be chopped, the half will be sliced for decorations
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped ends up being about 1 cup packed after chopped, save about 2 tbsps for decorations at the end
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- sliced bread or tostadas as needed i usually buy artisan bread for this appetizer, slices are a little smaller, they looks better when served and compliment the appetizer better too.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsps aji amarillo paste use more if you desire a more spicy sauce. Please be aware that different brands have different spice level, so start slow and you can always add more.
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Chop 1 red onion. Slice the rest of the onion and place in a bowl of water and put aside for later.
- Heat skillet, add olive oil and once hot add liver. The package already comes with conveniently sliced liver but you can cut it in smaller pieces before adding to skillet.
- Cook well and stir occasionally. Keep heat high because it helps to cook liver well. Cook for about 6-8 minutes total.
- Add chopped onions when liver is browned on both sides. Add chopped cilantro (leave a spoonful or two for decoration at the end).
- Add salt, pepper and paprika. Stir well so the flavors melt together and onion gets translucent. Lower the temperature to low and cook few more minutes. Cover the skillet.
- Mix the mayonnaise with aji amarillo paste. That makes for a perfect spicy sauce to add on the appetizer. Aji amarillo is a yellow chili paste that can be found in most Latin sections in the grocery stores. You can add the paste directly to any dish when cooking if you like the food spicy, or you can prepare an aji amarillo sauce to add on top as desired.
- If you are serving this appetizer over bread, warm up or toast the bread right before serving. Lay bread on a tray, place cooked liver slices over bread. Then decorate with red onion slices, cilantro and put aji amarillo on the side as a sauce. Enjoy:))
If you would like to save this recipe for later, please save the below image in Pinterest.
Other Latin American Inspired Recipes
For additional Latin American inspired recipes, please see below links:). Don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions.